1 - 5
‘Creational Trails is a network of improv(is)ed spaces that are activating linear pathways in Milwaukee as a means of encouraging acceptance and growth of cultural diversity.
We believe in art, culture and creativity that when expressed powerfully through place, can create vibrant communities that increase the economic opportunity for people to thrive in place.
We are contributing to a creative infrastructure of placemakers in Milwaukee as a model for a mid-size American city’s relationship to public space, economic development and cultural integrity.
Creational Trails is creating a network of improvised spaces to activate places as a means of encouraging acceptance and growth of the cultural diversity in Milwaukee. Specifically, Creational Trails is taking a unique approach to developing interactive art projects in targeted neighborhoods with the aim of raising visibility of those areas and activity within, such as increased foot and bike traffic.
The two locations include the artery, a two-thirds of a mile former rail corridor connecting the Riverwest and Harambee neighborhoods, and a 10-block stretch on West Wisconsin Avenue in downtown Milwaukee. Both locations will host several public events, public calls and commissioned placemaking activities with a focus on arts and culture throughout 2014.
Creational Trails is led by the Greater Milwaukee Committee’s Innovation in Milwaukee (MiKE) Initiative with management teams from NEWaukee and beintween.
Click here to view the PDF
Core aspects of Creative Placemaking include
• artists and the arts pivotal in the process
• public-private relationship building
• investment in a broad city geography
• community engagement and development
Our definition of “artist” includes:
In creative placemaking, partners from public, private, nonprofit and community sectors strategically shape the physical and social character of a neighborhood, town, tribe, city, or region around arts and cultural activities. Creative placemaking accentuates public and private spaces, rejuvenates structures and streetscapes, improves local business viability and public safety, and brings diverse people together to celebrate, inspire, and be inspired.
Are you interested in being a vendor at one of our Summer events at the artery? If you are selling goods or food there is a $25 charge. Apply below at the following link. Thanks! For more information about our Performance series at the artery click here.
Are you interested in being a vendor at our Night Market? Click on the following link and fill out the form. Thanks!! For more information about our Night Markets click here.
A Catalyst to Energize
"Creating flourishing places ha the potential to generate additional innovation and economic activity, which broadly benefits the entire community. This project will be a real catalyst to energize many of the existing initiatives in these two locations"
-Mayor Tom Barrett - City of Milwaukee
• matireal is a geo-textile transforming an environmental nightmare into an ecological dream that inspired a new park called the artery.
• July 5th: the artery: fortee #1, illumination and solar power added
• July 12th: the artery: ICAN 2 LABS open hours @ the ARTery
• July 12th: the artery: volunteer saTIREdays @ the ARTery
• July 15th: the artery: volunteer 2sdays with open mic 7-9 + EXIT THROUGH THE GIFTSHOP film screening 9-11
• July 17th: the artery: Walking tour. 10 am
• July 17th: The Avenue: Night Market at 4th st and Wisconsin Avenue
• July 18th: the artery: ICAN 2 LABS orientation @ the ARTery
• July 19th: the artery: volunteer saTIREdays @ the ARTery 11-4pm
• July 22nd: the artery: volunteer 2sdays w/ open mic 7-9 + AN OVERSIMPLIFICATION OF HER BEAUTY film screening 9-11
• July 26th: the artery: Second Performance at the artery
• July 26th: the artery: ICAN 2 LABS open hours12-4pm
• July 26th: the artery: volunteer @ performance showcase #2
• August 13th: The Avenue: Night Market at 4th st and Wisconsin Avenue
• August 30th: the artery: Third Performance at the artery
• September 6-7: the artery: All pull together fe(a)st with local youth groups (budget permitting)
• September 17th: The Avenue: Night Market at 4th Street and Wisconsin Avenue
• September 27th: the artery: Possible fourth Performance at the artery
• October 15th: The Avenue: Night Market at 4th Street and Wisconsin Avenue